Wednesday 31 March 2010

new verse - the year the clocks stopped

another on-the-cludgy inspired poem
originally in Chinese
but the English translation came out much much better
shame, oh well

The year the clocks stopped

it’s five-to-two in the living room
I don’t know if it’s afternoon or after midnight
but it’s good to know
the clock is still right twice a day

it’s 6:36 when I go to the bathroom
Wang Chien-ming is a still Yankee
there are elections looming
but the toilet paper has run out

there is no clock in the kitchen
dishes pile ever higher in the sink
I make a pot of tea
but I don’t know why

it’s 8:05 on the motion-powered watch
beside the bed
beside the uncovered glass of water, reading glasses and unfinished novel
"do you still love me?” trapped inside the mosquito net

No comments:

Post a Comment