Tuesday 4 May 2010

new verse

To Dancing Girl

(inspired by “To Mary Pickford” by Vachel Lindsay)

Oh,
Dancing Girl with face divine,
not year by year but ’most every day
I summon your spirit by clicking play
to be my valentine

There is an alternative version of this poem,
<--which has an additional stanza here [click here];
the original is still the "correct" version, however.

so
I will call you my Mary
though you answer to “naked_teen_stripper”
"we’ll be together forever"
you spin to Set Me Free
and
I know you’re not dancing to get me down
it was your gift to someone other
perhaps your high-school lover
now a freshman in a distant town
or
were you drunk on tequila and did it for a dare
or a junkie forced to strip for your joy
or did some guy lie that he worked for Playboy
just to trick you out of your underwear?
no
I’m sure I can see from the way your eyes shine
that it was done for love all right
and for two or three minutes each morning or night
I’ll believe that you're my valentine

No comments:

Post a Comment